Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Be The Traveler Not The Tourist

Many people view Zanzibar as a vacation spot. I view it both as that and as a giant educational opportunity.  The tourists demonstrated who I didn't want to be. I didn't want to be the girl walking around in the short, strapless dress in a place where women are covered from head to toe.

No, I didn't want to be that girl.

Instead, I wanted to be the girl who wore a long skirt, long-sleeved button down shirt and scarf wrapped around her head. Sure, I sweat like crazy. But in 85 degrees with about the same percentage of humidity they had to do it so I did, too. I was comfortable, though. I fit in the best I could AND received compliments from locals on both my Swahili and clothes. It's rewarding being a conscious, respectful traveler. Everyone likes to be respected. And everyone deserves it. 

I learned that I adore the call to prayer. It's one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. It's powerful yet peaceful. Haunting yet calming. It's part of their lives, their culture, their history and I'm so inspired by their dedication. 

I became as much more confident independent traveler our last day in Stonetown. I wandered around the city by myself, made quite a few friends along the way, and made it back to the hotel in one piece by the required time. I loved the feeling of being semi-lost but still so comfortable. I loved being in the parts of Stonetown that are almost free of tourists. I felt like I was actually doing what I was supposed to do. That's why I travel. I am constantly looking for new places in which I can completely immerse myself. Besides focusing on culture though, I also learned to conquer my fears. I did NOT want to scuba dive after our first lesson in the pool. I was terrified. I didn't even want to try. Everyone told me I should, though. So I did. Peer pressure is sometimes quite beneficial. I was freaking out during the entire ride out to the reef and it didn't stop when I stepped off the boat into the water. It wasn't till I got to the bottom and realized that, oh, *equalize* look at this. *equalize* I'm breathing *equalize* underwater. *equalize* My entire world changed. When we came up from that dive I was truly proud of myself. Although it wasn't really my idea, I did conquer a fear. I was confident in my ability to open my mind and experience new things. I was confident in my ability to tackle anything that came my way.  That's not to say that I don't still have fears. I have many and still tend to stress about them. But, I am getting better. Zanzibar taught me to live in the moment, respect everyone, embrace everything, face your challenges, have confidence in myself, be the traveler and always wear sunscreen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment