Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Kathgirldu--Alone In The City

Before I go into a description of my monastery stay I wanted to update you on what I am currently doing and how you can be a part of it. 

I now have a new home, a new schedule, new friends. New everything. 

I'm staying in Patan, a part of Kathmandu, but on the opposite side of town from where I stayed before so it's an entirely new adventure. But not only that: the rest of my group is trekking. I'm basically figuring everything out for myself. 

My latest project is with Sattya Media Arts Colletive (sattya.org), a creative hub and resource network for artists and the community in Kathmandu. It has definitely become one of my new comfort spots. Everyone here is incredibly passionate, creative and welcoming. It's my second day here and I already feel like part of the team. Not only will I be doing logistical stuff for them, I'll also be able to participate in workshops they have to help improve my creative writing and photography skills, painting murals with local school children and learning more about gardening and sustainability. 

Before I jump into that, though, I have one main task. We're currently launching a new project on arts and sustainable design called Hariyo Chowk (green courtyard).The project aims to turn a small plot of unused land into a community green space which will be free and open to the public, able to support gatherings of people wanting to share art and knowledge about sustainable living, or anyone looking for a beautiful local space to get away from the chaos of the city. All are desperately needed. It combines two of my favorite things: art and the environment. 

If you could take time to donate, it would be so greatly appreciated. Every little bit helps. The link below provides both more information and is the place to donate. This organization really is radical for Nepal and I will do anything I can to make sure it prospers. They deserve it. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sattya/hariyo-chowk

No comments:

Post a Comment