Monday, March 12, 2012

Mero Pariwaar--My Family

(From the yak board)

Whenever I travel I gain a new appreciation for all things in my life in Kentucky--toilets, education, countless opportunities, drinkable tap water, hot showers, washing machines, dryers, and so much more. But one of the things I seem to appreciate most while away is my family. Sometimes it's through homesickness, but more often it is through seeing and experiencing things that remind me of how fortunate I have been and am. My family has always supported me no matter what. From the time I was little I never felt any pressure to do something specific. I had the entire world before me, and I still do. I never had to fight to take a gap year. My family loves me and knows that I will do things when I'm ready. They always have my back. 

My Nepali family is absolutely no different.

Before I met them I was feeling homesick and nervous. 

Then I saw Mamu.

She was smiling with her whole face and looked truly delighted to meet me. All of my fears melted away. I was home. My bhaai, younger brother, is so sweet. He's almost eighteen so I'm not sure if "sweet" is the word he would want me to use to describe him, but it fits well. He is always there to lend a helping hand, make tea for me, show me around Kathmandu--anything. I met my baini, younger sister, my second night and knew life would now never be boring. Punku is a nine year old full of energy and creativity. She's helping me learn Nepali, both spoken and written, and we are never lacking in the art project department. She reminds me of my sister in America in that she is not afraid to be herself and she sees the world in different ways. She's such a beautiful comfort.

But my Mamu is one of my favorite people in the world. Even though her English is not perfect (whose is?) we still communicate. We smile and hug all the time and I think she will soon be comfortable enough to let me help in the kithcen. She radiates warmth and kindness in everything she does. Her little songs and dances remind me of my American mom, another great comfort. I have never been underfed or uncomfortable in this house and do not think I ever will be. As my Nepali teacher says: "People love to feed you. They want you to be fat." Truly, they just love everyone in general. That's been my experience so far, at least. Everyone is baa, aamaa, dai, didi, bhaai, or baini. Everyone is family. Sure I get stares, but even people on the street look after me. Upon trying to enter my house by myself, I did not think to try turning the handle on the gate. I simply saw the lock on the inside as a barrier and assumed I could not get in. I fumbled around for about twenty minutes calling my bhaai's cell phone when suddenly a man came up and began trying what seemed to be a doorbell kind of thing, pounding on the gate and calling out to anyone who might be inside. I had not met this man before; he probably does not speak English; and yet, he stopped working to help me.

There are kind people everywhere, I know. I had met them in four other continents before this one, but being part of a new family and being so easily accepted has changed my view towards humanity. Every man is my father; every woman, my mother; every boy, my brother, and every girl, my sister. We are all connected by the very fact that we exist. We can never break that bond so why should we try to? It is so much nicer loving all and being loved by all. 

It is only my fourth night as Asha Sharma and I am already dreading the day I have to depart. It is lovely to be part of family I can see and talk to every day--so nice to hug a mother and say "I love you. Sleep well!" 

To my families scattered across the world, I love you. Thank you for perpetually supporting me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment